Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Spa Party Stuff Review

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Lissiefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 13th, 2004
    Posts
    161
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    We didn't get the big set. It was cheaper to get 4 of the add-on sets with the code (ok you can laugh at me, but I figured the table cloth, streamers, etc weren't that hard to replace for a $30-$40 difference!)

    The doll plates are normal thickness. It will be tough to keep them nice. The doll cups are thicker than normal, and the sporks are REALLY cute. I wish they would let you order just the doll-sized stuff seperately! We'd do doll parties all the time!

    The goodie bags are a thick paper with a grosgrain ribbon handle - very cute.

    The doll-sized "napkin rings" are the yucky, fuzzy ponytail holders you could get at any store. I'm tempted to replace them with something cuter. The girl-sized ones are white headbands.

    The napkins are plain pink, and the "doll-sized" ones are normal small napkins...too big for the dolls imho. (The napkins are much bigger than the plates) [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img]

    The regular paper plates are really cute. I love the square ones.

    The paper cups in all four sets came smooshed (badly bent). I imagine this comes from the heavy books hitting them every time the box shifts during shipping. They're not protected in the package. I called AG about this, and the cups are not available as a replacement part, so either you send the sets back and they send you new sets (which will probably be the same way), or you live with it. I think I'll just replace the cups. [img]graemlins/whatever.gif[/img]

    The doll-sized flip-flop craft kits are ADORABLE. The girl-sized ones will only fit feet up to about a size 6 women's shoe, so if you have older girls coming, they may not fit. For younger girls you can cut down the back easily. The tough part is young girls' feet are too thin, so the shoes don't want to stay on. I'll have to adjust them somehow. The good news is that they're made from the normal foam sold in craft stores, so I'm planning on making a couple that are extra long using these as a pattern.

    And, of course, the books (worth $20 alone!) are great. My daughter already had this, so her book is an extra, but we'll find a good use for it. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

    Overall - this kit is worth the $24. It's not a bargain (this is AG after all). Definitely worth $14 (I miss that code). I think the big kit would be nice, you'd have the party planner and some activity posters. But my savings also give me some flexibility.

    This is going to be a great party! [img]graemlins/party.gif[/img]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member dianasmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 12th, 2004
    Posts
    1,086
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for posting all of this, now I don't have to! [img]wink.gif[/img]

    We just got our set for 2 yesterday. Weren't you impressed just with the big red box that says "American Girl Party" on it? I thought that was pretty too!

    I agree on the pony's for the dolls, just like ones by dd had as a baby. The doll sized napkins are too big, my girl sized paper cups were smooshed too, they need a thick cardboard divider to protect those cups! I thought the doll cups were just adorable though, they are plastic!

    Loved the girls headband, it will be great for doing face masks.

    As for the books, I might actually return mine the next time we go to an AGP! We already have the book ourselves, and I ordered the add on for 2 just to get the party items. It'll be like having an extra little "credit" to spend in the store on our next trip, probably sometime later this year.

    Good idea about enlarging the flip flops on craft foam. I think they are quite cute with the little stick on's. Of course the way AG displayed the whole set with the tub is quite adorable.

    I thought the goody bags were also very nicely made with the little ribbon handle. The invitation and thank you were nice as well.

    Does anyone else think that a $10 book in a goody bag (along with the craft item and headband) for each girl is kind of extravagant though? That's where the real cost of the complete party set goes up, with all the books. We did goody bags for Diana's recent party, but they averaged about $4 a piece.

    Laurie

  3. #3
    Inactive Member dianasmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 12th, 2004
    Posts
    1,086
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I agree, for one or two girls, it's reasonable, but in the complete set for 8 girls, you're paying $79.60 in books! (That's almost a new AG doll!)

    I guess I'd still like to know when the whole idea of kids who came to the party get to have presents developed. It wasn't that way when I was a kid. You got to have cake and ice cream, but you brought the presents.

    Laurie

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ April 07, 2005 02:46 PM: Message edited by: dianasmama ]</font>

  4. #4
    Inactive Member kamakajr's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    251
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That is so true. I have to admit that I have gone overboard with the goody bags. Its very easy to do. You keep adding one more neat item you found at a great price and pretty soon, you have a $30 goody bag. Kinda like a child's size version of what they give out to the presenters at the Oscars.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member dianasmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 12th, 2004
    Posts
    1,086
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Very true!

    I bought the Coconut party items and treat bags that are now on sale. They'll be for next year or the year after. Whatever, I have to remind myself that the treat bags are DONE and not to feel like I need to add anything else to them. Also because we love to plan around here, when you buy something 6 months or more in advance you don't feel like you're paying so much. This year, Diana's friends all got an Ariel plastic cup, blower party toy, small Ariel coloring/activity book and Ariel pearl bracelet, oh, and one of those bead necklaces!

    Makes me wish I was a kid going to parties these days. We had a surprise 50th for my DH this year, glad I didn't have to do that for the adults who came to that one!

    Laurie

  6. #6
    Inactive Member kamakajr's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    251
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I also bought an add-on set and agree with the review. I purchased the set so I could have a nice planned activity the next time my oldest dd invites a special friend over to our house. We haven't used it yet,though.

    I don't think $10 for a goody bag is too extravagant if you are only inviting one or two girls. The set is very high quality AG and any little (or big!) girl would be thrilled to receive a goody bag like this. It makes for a very memorable sleepover, that's for sure.

    Laurie, I liked your comment about the box that the add-ons came in. I was impressed. AG sure knows how to package and market! It was like getting a present all nicely packaged in that pretty red box with the stars. I like these (and the Bitty) boxes so much I find it impossible to manage my ever growing stock of AG boxes in my closets. Just can't part with them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •